I had the privilege to travel with the PGC Basketball directors through the ‘research triangle’ in North Carolina. We called it the ‘Tobacco Road Tour‘; and, covered Durham (Duke), Chapel Hill (University of North Carolina), Winston-Salem (Wake Forest) and Raleigh (NC State).
- Coach Mike Krzyzewski started the practice with a brief talk to the team about remembering to acknowledge and thank the people around you that help make their experience possible. “When someone does something good, give a handshake… say thank you.” [SB: I need to write a separate blog on how extraordinarily different the Duke culture is from any other I've seen.]
- “A smart player is a better player. Be smart and help each other be smart.”
- All players echoed commands (e.g. play calls from teammates or coaches)
- “If you pass slow, you run slow. Our (fast break) begins with the pass. Strong pass will lead to a strong break.“
- Keywords offensively = SPACING & BALANCE.
- “Think as a scorer” Can’t afford wasted opportunities.
UPDATED: Practice Plans For Basketball
— Download PDF: Duke Men’s Basketball Practice Plan
— Download PDF: UNC Men’s Basketball Practice Plan